Monday, July 18, 2011

Humor in Books

Please welcome Vonnie Davis, author of STORM'S INTERLUDE, a recently released TWRP book.  I have the pleasure of having Vonnie as a critique partner, and I absolutely love her writing, so when this book was released, I was first in line to buy a copy.  The first scene grabbed me and I read until my eyes burned.  Then I read the rest in one sitting.  I think you'll agree, this one is most definitely a winner! 



I grew up watching “I Love Lucy” and “The Red Skelton Show,” both full of humor and delightful slap-stick comedy. As a result, I can write very visual slap-stick, laced with humor; most of which often flies over the head of the reader. So I’ve learned to lower it a few degrees. To be more subtle. Still, I’d sooner write balls-out-humor.


Do you have writers who make you laugh? Since I’m so busy with writing, the only time I get to read any more is in bed. If a writer is so talented in her writing that I can visualize the action and, indeed, the facial expressions of the characters as she puts them in comical situations, I lie in bed and laugh until tears roll down my face. When the bed starts shaking from my laughter, Calvin grumbles, “Are you reading that Janet Evanovich again?” I love her humor.



Often real life puts us in humorous situations, situations that if we wrote about them, the reader would shake her head a couple of times and go, “Nah, it couldn’t happen.” To make the situation credible, we need to set up the character in ways that our readers can “see” this happening to him or her.






 I started Storm’s Interlude with an outlandish scene: a naked man on a country road. Why? Well, Storm is our typical alpha male, used to giving orders, used to having life go his way. So why not put him in an embarrassing situation to bring him down a peg or two? I’ll share the beginning of my book with you…


Someone swaggered out of the moonlit night toward Rachel. Exhausted from a long day of driving, she braked and blinked. Either she was hallucinating or her sugar levels had plummeted. Maybe that accounted for the male mirage, albeit a very magnificent male mirage, trekking toward her. She peered once more into the hot July night at the image illuminated by her headlights. Sure enough, there he was, cresting the hill on foot—a naked man wearing nothing but a black cowboy hat, a pair of boots and a go-to-hell sneer.

Well, well, things really did grow bigger in Texas. The man quickly covered his privates with his black Stetson. Rachel sighed. The show was evidently over. Should she stand up in her Beetle convertible and applaud? Give a couple cat calls? Wolf whistles? Maybe not.

She turned down the music on the car’s CD player. Sounds of crickets and a lonely bullfrog in the distance created a nighttime symphony in the stillness of this isolated stretch of country road. Lightning bugs darted back and forth, blinking a display of neon yellow glow.

The naked man strode toward her car, and Rachel’s heart rate kicked up. Common sense told her to step on the gas, yet what woman wanted to drive away from such a riveting sight? Still, life had taught her to be careful. She reached into her handbag and extracted her chrome revolver. Before he reached her car, she quickly slid her gun under the folds of her skirt.

Just let him try anything funny—I know how to take care of myself.

Both of his large hands clasped his hat to his groin. His face bore annoyance and a touch of chagrin. “I need a ride.” By his bearing and commanding tone of voice, she guessed the man was used to giving orders and having them followed.

Her eyes took a slow journey across his face. Even in the moonlight, she could see traces of Native heritage. His shoulder-length ebony hair, too long for her tastes, glistened against his bronzed skin. Proud arrogant eyes sparked anger.

Because Rachel believed in indulging herself, she allowed her eyes to travel over his broad shoulders, muscular chest and tight abdominal muscles. She saw a thin trail of dark hair starting below his navel, knowing full well where it ended, and fought back a groan. Her eyes slid back up to lock on his. “You need a pair of pants, too.” Knowing her voice hummed with desire, she cleared her throat, hoping the naked man hadn’t noticed.

He looked up at the sky for a beat. “Just my freakin’ luck! A birthday party gone bad, and now I’m bein’ ogled by some horny kid with damnable blue eyes.”

What the heck was wrong with her eyes? She quickly glanced in her rearview mirror and saw nothing amiss. She narrowed those “damnable blue eyes” and sneered. “Look, buster, I’m not the one prancing around Texas naked as a jaybird. I’ll have you know I’m hardly a kid.” She glanced down at the black cowboy hat. “And, furthermore, stop hiding behind that big ol’ Stetson. From what I saw, a French beret would do the job.”

There, let the arrogant fool stew on that while he struted back to whatever rock he crawled out from under. She slammed her car in gear and sped off.

She swore she wouldn’t look in her rearview mirror. Nope, she would not look. Like a magnet emitting a powerful homing signal, her eyes slowly slid to the glass surface. He was standing where she’d left him….. So, do you think she went back???


Buy Links—

Amazon: http://amzn.to/pkkcLq


The Wild Rose Press: http://bit.ly/rcCIMa


Please stop by my blog sometime to visit. Right now I’m part of a Mega-Author Blog Hop. Stop by, follow the directions and leave your comment and email address for eligibility in my drawing. http://www.vintagevonnie.blogspot.com/



http://www.vonniedavis.com/

29 comments:

  1. Oh, that was GREAT! And what do I think happened? I think she doesn't go back but meets him later...somewhere, and they get together, somehow. I loved this writing. Thank you for introducing me to a new author I'll want to read!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. loL. I think I'll ask Handsome to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yey, Vonnie! Since I have YET to buy a darn e-reader, I've been reading Storm's Interlude on my tiny phone screen well into the night. Great characters & one of the most memorable intros yet! I'm excited to have Vonnie as my mentor and as a guest of my own next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us, Vonnie. It was fun to get to know you better and read some of your work!

    I live on a country road. I'm going to have to look out the window more often hahah.
    Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'm sold! I love humor in books, and I can't wait to see how this scene plays out.

    I'm like - never pick up a naked man on a deserted road! (sort of like telling those women in slasher movies - don't go in the basement!) But something tells me Vonnie has lots of fun up her sleeve with this one.

    Consider one more sale today! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia, thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. Writing this scene was fun, and I chuckled at the visual in my mind--well, chuckled and drooled, but we don't need to go there, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plotting Princess, that name intrigues me. I'll have to check out your blog. Thanks for taking a peak at "Storm's Interlude."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Misty, I scratch my head every time I think of mentoring you. Frankly I have no clue how I can help you; you're such a delightful writer. No doubt you could help me MORE than I could ever help you, but I'm looking forward to our time together online. Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy, (**waves wildly**) thanks for stopping by. And, yes, do look out your window now and again, especially on fullmoon nights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Lynne. I do hope you'll buy a copy of my book. I had the best time writing it. My favorite person in the book was the housekeeper, Noella. "But I say nothing." And you'll have to read the book to know what that means. (**evil grin**)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vonnie, you have a wicked sense of humor and it comes through in your writing. It's a pleasure to work with you and to have you on the blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great excerpt!!!!

    Vonnie, I'm a fan! I think she went back! I'll have to get the book and find out now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! Vonnie!! Good job setting the stage for fun with that excerpt!! :-)) Definitely makes me want to see what happens next! Great descriptions!! Can't wait to read more!! :-)))

    Jan Romes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, yes I do have a wicked sense of humor and my kids inherited it. Especially my sons. What fun they were as teenagers. We had some goofy times together. I love to laugh and if I can make my readers smile or laugh out-loud then I'm tickled beyond pink. Thanks so much for having me here today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tess, glad you enjoyed the excerpt. Now, IF Rachel went back, what do you imagined happened? I'd love to pick your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jan, you've read probably the twelfth version of that scene. I rewrote it and added and tweaked until I used all the senses in my descriptions...ah, but I didn't use "taste," did I? OR did I?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shoot, I wouldn't have left him standing there in the first place, lol. Now that's an opening. Definitely caught my interest.

    Hope your sales are through the roof, Vonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jannine, I was in a bit of a snit the day I wrote that scene. My first book had been rejected--again. "Not enough heat. Could not conntect with the characters." So I cried and fumed--rejections are never easy, are they?--and I thought, "I suppose if I wrote the typical apha male with lots of sex, they'd buy it." So, as a personal challenge I sat down and wrote the most bizzare scene I could think of. Soon I learned how to write on a more sensual level. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my WORD, that is hilarious! Way to go Vonnie! lol I love a good nekked man scene. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shea, have you ever dreamt you were someplace naked and had to sneak around to get out of there? I hate dreams like that. Here, our hero is having the same kind of feeling, only it's real, not a dream. Poor thing...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, I think she went back. I'm not sure she was brave enough for a taste, but...you say you were challenging yourself, so who knows? Great hook.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carly, I don't write about weak women...only brave ones. Thanks for stopping by Sue's lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vonnie,

    So sorry I am so late getting here but the link just came through. I can't wait to get my hands on this book You are the greatest Well you know how I feel about you

    Walk in harmony,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whew! Vonnie!! That was a great hook! I want to know what happened next.

    I wish you the best! I'll have to add this one to my TBL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vonnie,
    I was very impressed with all your great Amazon reviews. I've order my copy. Can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hugs Melinda. You're not late at all. I'm critiquing some more of your chapters and should have a few to you this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Karen, thanks for the compliment. I took an online course on writing a great hook...don't know if this is what the instructor had in mind, but it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Morgan, I've been very blessed with my reviews so far. If I've held their interst, then I've succeeded. Thanks for stopping by and for buying my book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vonnie, I loved your scene. And I grew up watching those shows too. WTG! Your new release sounds like a real winner.

    ReplyDelete