Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Guest Blogger - Carolyn Matkowsky


I'd like to welcome Carolyn Matkowsky to the blog today.  She's an amazing author and good friend.

Sue, thank you for having me today. It’s a pleasure to be part of your lovely and interesting blog.

A little about myself - I’m a former corporate drone and cubicle dweller finally freed from my fabric-covered world. I’ve published four books: the first was a sweet, traditional romance called “A Catered Affair” from Avalon Books, published under the name Carolyn Matkowsky. My second was “Logan’s Redemption,” 2007, a romantic suspense from The Wild Rose Press. When I got the rights back for that book, I published it on Amazon Kindle, where it’s doing amazingly well. Currently I have two books out: a paranormal, “Cursed Mates,” from Noble Romance Publishing, and a romantic suspense novella, “Murder, Mi Amore,” from The Wild Rose Press. I’ll be talking about “Murder, Mi Amore” today. I’ve also published ten short stories, in New Love Stories Magazine and in the confession magazines, known as the Trues (True Love, True Romance, True Confession, True Story and True Experience), and I’ve had a short story published on Long and Short Reviews.

“Murder, Mi Amore” – the blurb:

Lexie Cortese is in Rome to forget. The last thing she expects is to meet a sexy Interpol agent who suspects her of being part of a terrorist plot involving a stolen diamond. Suddenly thrust into a world of murders, muggings, and kidnappings, Lexie doesn’t know what to think—or who to believe.

Dominic Brioni’s assignment is simple. Befriend the American and bring her to justice. Only Lexie seems the most unlikely terrorist Dominic has ever met. Sweet, determined, and direct, she faces life with courage and fire, a fire that sparks his protective instincts and a longing for something more—something he allowed himself to hope for only once before.

But that woman betrayed him, and his boss isn’t about to let him forget it. With his career on the line and Lexie in danger, will Dominic learn to trust his heart before they both get killed?

A little bit about my heroine, Lexie:

When The Wild Rose Press put out a call for a new series, Jewel of the Night, saying the stories could be set anywhere in the world, but had to involve a stolen blue diamond, I was hooked. I’d recently been to Rome, Italy, and I wanted to write a story set there. Now I had the beginnings of a plot and the setting. But what about the characters?

I’ve always loved stories about ordinary people caught in dangerous situations. Why not write about an innocent, sweet young American woman on vacation in Rome who finds herself involved in something very deadly? Throw in a few jewel thieves, terrorists, and a sexy, mysterious Italian man who may or may not be involved in the strange doings around her, and I had my story and my characters.

My heroines always have a little bit of me in them. My heroine, Lexie, is no different. Lexie has always been a “good” girl, doing what her parents and teachers, then her fiancé, expect. A little like me at one time. Only I didn’t change my life as dramatically as Lexie. When her scum of a fiancé gets engaged to another woman without telling Lexie, rather than curl up in a ball, she decides to change the course of her life. Armed with a new attitude, and money she got from selling her engagement ring, she escapes to Rome for an extended vacation. She’s tired of doing what everyone else wants. From now on, she’ll do what she wants.

Determined to shed the old Lexie, she accepts a date with a sexy, mysterious man named Dominic. When strange things begin happening to her - mugging attempts and a kidnapping attempt, among others - she fights back, with Dominic’s help. The police won’t believe that she’s being stalked. But she has a newfound confidence and refuses to be cowed. The only person who takes her seriously is Dominic. They grow closer, yet she feels he’s hiding something. The old Lexie would have been afraid to take a chance on Dominic. The new Lexie decides to trust herself and to trust him. She’s become a woman who knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to take it.

I really enjoyed writing about Lexie and watching her grow. And Dominic, too, learns to trust his instincts once again and to believe in himself. I hope others enjoy reading Lexie and Dominic’s story as much as I enjoyed writing it.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on your success. I didn't realize you had so many stories with the True Magazines. I've heard they are really hard to break into. Kudos.

    I'm adding Murder, Mi Amore to my kindle wish list.

    And, Sue, I love your bio. Made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cara and Sue! I always like hearing how authors develop their characters. And I confess, my heroine have a bit of me in them, too.

    Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, thanks for having me. Autumn and Vicki, thanks for posting. Other than my first book, all my books are written under my pen name Cara Marsi, in case anyone is interested in looking me up on Amazon. My website shows both names. Autumn, I hope you enjoy Murder, Mi Amore. Vicki, I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts a little bit of herself into her heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sue that Cara's an amazing writer. I love how multi-faceted the characters are, and how that helps plot development and twists. And I like how you've taken your own experience and personality and mixed it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, thank you so much for visiting with us today. I love Murder Mi Amore. The characters you created are real and easy to relate with. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's in a name? I saw this blog entry and was drawn by a name, someone unknown, to search for something fresh. A possible, to chance, for a good read. ---- Okay I was impressed but down the comments I found my answer. My already penny saving to acquire an evening alone with 'Murder, Mi Amore.' ---- The name Cara Marsi I already know. It's comes with a receipt attached. Saying, This Author is original. She will take you somewhere exciting with the right touch of panache and quality. This book is a good read. ---- Thank you Sue, Cara (I'm a fan) ----- Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin and Erin, thank you for posting. Robin, my friend, you know how much I love your writing.

    Erin, thank you so much for your wonderful words. I really appreciate your support. What you wrote makes me feel so good. I'm glad you liked Murder, Mi Amore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun read! I have to agree that you're well versed in your craft. I also agree with the innocent heroine in a strange land. The possibilities and intrigue are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Carolyn! I'll be picking this on up! :) And "Cursed Mates", is this the one I might have critiqued for you a while back through the elements chapter? Oh, I hope so! I've been dying to know what happened in that story ever since! LOL Wishing you many sales!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, thanks for posting. You're right about the many possibilities of an innocent in a strange land.

    Melissa, thanks for posting. It's nice to see you again. And, yes, Cursed Mates is the one you critiqued through Elements. I'm glad you remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cara! You are such an amazing woman. And congratulations on the short stories making it in the magazines. There are so many sides to you. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patsy, thank you. I'm always impressed with your books. I'm amazed at what you write.

    ReplyDelete